Friday, May 9, 2008

Rainbow Lorikeets

Rainbow Lorikeets
11 x 14
$450 with mat and frame
2008

I finished this painting today. Rainbow Lorikeets are mostly found in Australia. They are small colorful birds and there are still many of them. I used a reference photo from a photographer named Tom Friedel. He has very beautiful photographs. Check them out at Birdphotos.com. Click on the Parrot Family album to see the photo I used for this painting. When I went to Tom's site today they were labeled Coconut Lorikeets. Thank you so much Tom!

This painting took between 20 - 24 hours to paint. If I was going to do it again I would probably use a different background. The images below show how I painted it.


Step 1: I used masking fluid for the birds and their perch and painted the background




Step 2: Added a light green wash on the perching branch and leaves











Step 3: Added yellow



Step 4: Added red


Step 5: Added blue








Step 6: Added green















Step 7: Added some details

Step 8: More details










Step 9: More details, especially the feet and leaves









Step 10: Serious improvement and darkening to background.











Step 11: Lots more details to parrots and everything else











No comments:

ClustrMap